What is reliability in retail and eCommerce services?
Reliability is shown to be one of the most influential factors of customer satisfaction.
In a competitive environment like retail and eCommerce, the importance of keeping your services up and running to serve customers without hindrance is crucial and directly related to the income a business will generate.
Reliability ensures your systems don’t fail you and more importantly do not fail your customers.
The challenges of reliability within retail and eCommerce
There are a number of challenges in providing reliability within the retail industry.
Online identity verification
A reliable way to ensure the right information is displayed to the right user.
Failing the payment step is prejudicial for both the business and the customer's confidence.
How do you keep customers happy while they're shopping?
How do you keep up with the expectations set up by major retailers?
Returning customers are vital to your business.
Cyber security/data security
How can you make sure the sensitive data you're keeping is safe?
What if your retail and eCommerce services go down?
What happens if your site goes down, your payment services stop working or you see a surge in customer activity that overwhelms your servers? You might be experiencing a DDoS attack or it could just be a coincidence. You notice the server slows down, and page speed is decreasing until full timeout, but the true cause is unknown.
A complete and total outage of a retail and eCommerce website can cost a company millions.
Take Amazon, for example, it was determined that a single outage during Amazon Prime Day cost the company 100 million dollars. The outage lasted one hour.
Improving reliability as an engineering team and as a part of your company culture is critical.
Why retail and eCommerce businesses should focus on building reliability in their culture and teams
To get better at operating with greater predictability and operate with less anxiety you need to engineer a culture of reliability. Reliability is a conscious activity and shift-left culture is essential to business and team health.
The chance of potential incidents in complex modern systems you don’t understand can be tricky to navigate and can lead to anxiety. Reliably helps you visualize how your system runs, so you’re never in the dark.
How our tools improve SRE within retail and eCommerce services
Different teams and departments will think about reliability differently and how it impacts customer satisfaction - Reliably provides the tools needed to reduce risk and provide secure, reliable, resilient, and always available services.
With Reliably you can
Use an SLO oriented approach to reliability in financial services
Give a live view of system health through scoring
Enable cultural shifts that promote and increase reliability
Define what a reliable system means to a team, and keep track of it
Proactively track weaknesses with Chaos Engineering
- What are the 4 pillars of retail?
- Traditionally the four pillars of retail are price, selection, convenience and experience but convenience has risen above the others in importance. This means it’s critical to provide services that are available 24/7 365 days a year.
- What are the qualities of a good retail system?
- Services that are available 24/7 365 days a year are important as well as data accuracy, operation/transaction time, and data and system security.
- What is a shift-left culture in retail and eCommerce?
- Shift-left culture in retail means empowering engineers and developers to be more proactive and mindful of their users’ experience by increasing access to tools that allow them to define what good looks like in their system.
- Can I try Reliably for free?
- Yes, sign up for free (no credit card required) and get started with defining and observing your reliability. You can cancel any time and you won't be charged anything.